Ryhall Methodist Church
place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists in Ryhall was a house at the end of
Waterside, registered for worship in 1810. The house was owned by a
carpenter named John Christian and it had free sittings for 60 people. Later
it was named 'Chapel House' and today it is part of 'Norfolk Cottage'.
the property became too small to accommodate the increasing population and in
1877 an application was made to erect a new Wesleyan Methodist chapel at the
corner of Mill Street and Crown Street with seating for 200. The
foundation stones were laid on July 31st. The building was designed by
Joseph Corby of Stamford and built by Messrs Roberts of Ryhall and Scholes of
Stamford. It was opened on June 12th 1878 having cost just over £476.
In 1896 a
further application was made for a building to be designed as a schoolroom
costing £280. The number of children receiving instruction at the time
was said to be 60 and there was no separate accommodation for them. The
schoolroom was constructed of brick at the rear of the chapel, the
contractors being Hinson Brothers of Stamford. A choir vestry was added
on the east side and a vestry to the west.
12th 1978 the church celebrated 100 years since its opening with a meeting,
public tea and a concert, featuring Empingham Brass Band and Methodist
musicians from Stamford.
Further renovations to the
property took place in 1993/4 when the rear building was refurbished to
include a kitchen, store room and disabled toilet.
By Pauline Collett. For
further information on the history of Ryhall Methodist Church seeher book
‘Rutland in Dissent’ published 2011 by Spiegl Press, Stamford, Lincs