stamford & Rutland Methodist Circuit

SOMERBY HISTORY

HISTORY OF SOMERBY METHODIST CHURCH

 

There are said to have been Methodists in Somerby from the 18th century, making it the oldest surviving place of worship in the Rutland/Leicestershire part of the circuit.

 

In 1797 when a chapel was built at Melton Mowbray, William Newton and George Roberts of Somerby were Trustees. George Roberts’ farmhouse is noted as being the authorised place of worship. Somerby appears on a circuit plan of the Leicester circuit in 1816 when a service was held fortnightly at 2 pm. By 1822 it had become part of the Melton Mowbray circuit.

 

The first chapel was at the Pickwell end of the village and covered the areas of Owston, Knossington, Burrough on the Hill and Pickwell.

 

By 1840 there were 34 in membership and in 1842 a new chapel was erected, probably in Chapel Lane (now a house).

 

There may have been both Primitive and Wesleyan Chapels in Somerby in the 19th century but in 1932 there was a national amalgamation into The Methodist Church.

 

A new chapel was built in the 20th century on Main Street and a hall added in 1956. 

 

In the early 2000’s the chapel was sold and the hall was converted as the worship area and for multi use.

 

Early information taken from History of Wesleyan Methodism in Melton Mowbray and Vicinity by Josiah Gill 1909 Melton

 

Further information may be found in the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland: www.leics.gov.uk

 

Website created by: Alison Ashby    

Page Last Updated: 22 October 2014